OF BAGPIPES AND CARPET SWEEPS:
Portland’s bike culture more than skin deep
Portland’s bike culture more than skin deep
I thought I could escape unnoticed by doing the sheepish,
fast walk, don’t-make-eye-contact thing as I rolled my grimy bike down the
freshly-swept hallway. But no dice—the mechanical carpet sweeper stopped moving
and I could feel his eyes on me.
“Hey,” said the hotel cleaning guy as I braced for a WTF?
![]() |
Fun absurdities are but one
aspect of Portland's vibrant
cycling culture.
Photo: Bearly Rambling
|
I gave him the run-down on the Blackburn Flea light clipped
to my backpack, then ducked into my room for its USB charger and gifted him the
kit for his third-shift commutes.
While we had our share of Portlandia moments during the BRAIN Dealer Tour, I took this encounter
as an encouraging harbinger—proof that bikes here are about more than the “Unipiper”—a
guy dressed as Darth Vader in kilt who plays the bagpipes while unicycling. No,
this was just a regular guy, working an everyday, real world job—THIS is the
guy we as an industry want to connect with. While our tour of Portland’s finest
bike dealers was enlightening and educational, this was my ah-ha moment.
I was reminded of the democratic nature of bikes and, how given
the right confluence of culture, necessity and infrastructure, they can be
truly transformative. I ride away with a renewed vigor for both our industry
and advocacy, because it occurs to me that we’d be a whole lot better off with
more hotel guys on bikes…and maybe even another Unipiper or two.
Don Palermini
Director of Marketing,
Bell and Blackburn
