MAKE IT WORK

FINDING THE HOOK WHEN NONE IS APPARENT

This is an example of successful brand storytelling despite having the deck stacked against us. Though Mongoose got into the high-end titanium bike business for all the wrong reasons, we were fortunate to have a visionary product manager named Chris Conroy (now of Yeti Cycles) who was resolute and uncompromising in developing product. Just as Chris had done his very best on the product side, I did my best on the marketing side, hiring the best rider we could find with the money we had--Steve Larsen, now dearly departed--and leveraging him to tell our product story despite not having the right ammo or even the right gun. I would neither have picked TV as the medium nor the Tour de France as the vessel--it was inefficient, expensive and inauthentic--we had no team in the race. But those were the marching orders. Undaunted, I tapped Steve's personality and pedigree as the creative basis for the spots and think the work holds up to this day. Wish I could say the same for the music we picked.